Wednesday, March 09, 2005

When is enough, enough …

Like many of us I get up and go to work (at one time I used to get up and go to school) I spend roughly 8 hours there then go home. Some weeks I have to work late, others I take time off. Basically what I am saying is I am an employed individual. As an employed individual I get the pleasure of paying for stuff I want to have or want to do. So for example at the end of the month if my bank account has an extra $50 in it I might choose to save it for a few months and get something big or blow it all right away. This, of course is after the necessities of life have been paid such as;

  • Mortgage, Rent or Room & Board
  • Food
  • Transportation (So I can get to and from the job)
  • Savings (Got to think about the future)
  • Clothes (Even though society is working toward living naked, you don’t want to see me naked trust me)
  • Insurance (A rant for another time all on it’s own)
  • Taxes (Income, Property, Sales …)
  • Etc…
Only once all of these items are paid off can I spend the last bit on booze and hookers.
Let’s say I have paid this off and have the extra in my pocket and a homeless person asks for some change. I might and quite often do donate to his cause. After all he is out there earning his keep just by being there and asking; that’s how society works. If I am tight for money or owe money, rarely happens but occasionally, then I do not donate to his cause because I have social responsibilities to my creditors and myself.

Our precious government is taking OUR money, knowing full well that most of us are in debt, and giving it away to other countries and large corporations. All the while we look on and go “hmmmm how interesting” or “what nice people we Canadians are”

I ask you; if you gave a homeless person a 5 dollar bill and they said “thanks” then proceeded to light it on fire to ignite their cigarette.
Would you:
A.) think Hmmmm how interesting.
B.) Say “What a nice person I am”
C.) Stomp on his hand to put out the fire then grab what’s left of the $5 and think “I worked for that”.

Well if you picked C you would be wrong because he needs that 5 to light his smoke and he will need another $5 tomorrow and so on.

I can’t even begin to count the number of times in my life that I have heard of countries getting loans they will never pay back or companies getting grants to help them survive. Bombardier in particular seems to strive on the taxpayer’s money to survive in the rough and tumble business world. Is it possible that they have a bad business model or maybe a product that no one wants? Normally in the private sector we call these sorts of things bad business practices. In the Canadian government they call it fuddle duddle, boondoggle or some cutesy assed name to make it sound cute and make us remember we voted these children into office.

As it is the Canadian governments (federal and provincial) piss more and more money away on social programs we can’t afford while our waiting times for essential services increase or have been cut off altogether. For example I would have no issue with subsidized day care for people who live below the poverty line. However, I do have an issue with this being provided to everyone. Having children is a choice and if you can’t afford them then at least accept that they are YOUR responsibility. Don’t make society pay for your bad choices. There are plenty of people who can afford and want to adopt but have to go to places far, far away to get their child (Usually countries Canada gives money to). After all it’s about what’s right for the child isn’t it?
All this to say if you owe money or are using someone else’s money please be responsible; don’t drink and govern.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol, I am glad it was you who said this...

It takes the heat from people like me when you say it aloud first

8:10 AM  
Blogger shaneknysh said...

Druid!

Very funny rant my man.

You should have a listen to lazyboy. I think it would be right up your alley. I quote:

"There are homeless people everywhere. This homeless guy asked me for money the other day. I was about to give it to him and then I thought he was going to use it on drugs or alcohol. And then I thought, that's what I'm going to use it on. Why am I judging this poor bastard."

Your buddy - papaganoush

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home