Thursday, July 21, 2005

Industrial Strength Idiots

I read in the news that the private citizens of Ontario need to cut the power consumption or there will be rolling blackouts.
So if I don’t shut down my computer or if I use my stove I can be blamed for causing a brownout.
When I drive by parliament at night, why are the lights on even though nobody’s home? How is it that the fountains run all day and night? Why does Government offices still have all of the lights in the ceilings and built into the prison walls they call cubes? Most of the offices running air conditioning are running a few degrees above freezing. Now as tax payers, I think we have a right to get electricity before the government does so if cuts are going to be made, they can start in the office.
How is it that “smart” business people can run air conditioners with the storefront doors open to the great outdoors, but I have to wait until midnight to run my washer? How is it that entrepreneurs can piss away energy while others are guilted into conserving?
I am sure that if in every government office the temperature is turned up 2 or 3 degrees and every 2nd light bulb is removed from the ceiling, that productivity wouldn’t change; power consumption would be reduced and hydro would not have to nag us about energy consumption during “peak periods”. Theoretically the Government can save us money.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My fav is that a colleage has deemed it a necessity to bring in a Tiffany table lamp that sits plugged in on the extra work table that sits in all our cubes. Sunny day out, curtains wide open, and the lamp is on because it looks purdy. Guess that's why this person is paid the big bucks.

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home